Lawyer Scales Justice - Law Concepts on Human Rights

When it comes to family law, it’s sometimes necessary to file petitions and make changes to the judge’s ruling. To receive the best outcomes for yourself and your family, it’s best to understand how post-judgment works.

What is Post-Judgment?

In any area of law, post-judgment relates to an action or proceeding that takes place after a judge has given their official ruling in a case.

It’s common in family law for post-judgment proceedings to occur, especially if a party wants to modify court orders. Motions for modification can include:

Child Custody

It’s possible to file a Petition for Modification of Custody after a judge’s ruling. To successfully file, circumstances that affect the best interests of the child or children must change since the final ruling. These petitions are often difficult to navigate alone and require expert legal guidance to achieve the best outcomes for your children and yourself.


Georgia law allows parents or anyone with visitation rights to request modifications to visitation orders once every two years following court rulings. These requests do not require proof of circumstantial changes if submitted appropriately in each two-year period.

Child Support

There are several reasons you may petition the court’s ruling for child support. Circumstances for modification could involve:

  • Involuntary loss of income
  • Failure to exercise court-appointed visitation by the non-custodial parent
  • Excessive visitation by the non-custodial parent
  • Transfer of primary custody
  • Child reaches adulthood

You are required to follow child support rulings exactly as written until the court has either modified or terminated them.

Spousal Support

Similar to child support, there are valid reasons to modify court rulings related spousal support. Modifications can occur if:

  • The financial status of either party change
  • The party receiving alimony maintains a long-term cohabitation arrangement with a romantic and/or sexual partner

Post-judgment affairs can be tricky to alter in the court of family law. Luckily, our attorneys are highly experienced and can help you receive the best modification outcomes. Call us today: 770-225-7000