contempt of courtAfter a divorce is finalized, there are legal agreements that must be respected by both parties – especially if children are involved. If a breach occurs and one of the parties is not abiding by the rules, he or she is in contempt of court. If your ex is not following court orders, we can help you navigate a contempt of court action if needed.

Contact the GEM Family Law attorneys today.

Time is of the essence concerning contempt of court actions. We don’t want you to wait months or years without taking action, as this only prolongs the frustrating situation and negatively affects the children involved. Take into consideration the following questions and answers:

What are examples of contempt of court?

Court orders are to be taken seriously by all parties involved. If your ex is not obeying the orders set by the judge, it’s imperative to address the situation. Concerning family law cases, several examples of contempt of court include refusing to return the child, withholding court-order visitation, denying a child visitation to the other parent, and more.

What will the judge do?

The judge’s ultimate goal is to ensure your ex follows the court order in the future. There is no “one size fits all” answer that a judge will give – each case is special and requires a personalized verdict. Depending on the judge and the severity of the case, the judge may order counseling, parenting classes, future court orders, or fines.

Is filing a contempt of court action the only answer?

No, there are other ways we can help you set things straight with you ex. Several avenues we can try first include a demand letter, collection action, motion to clarify, motion to modify, or dispute resolution – to name a few. The GEM Family Law attorneys will know exactly how to navigate your case to ensure the best outcome.

Call us at 770-225-7000 to schedule an appointment.