Alexander R. Cutler
- Connecticut College, B.A., 2001
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., 2004
Areas of Practice:
- Domestic Relations
- Family Law
Alex Cutler specializes in the areas of divorce and family law, including high net worth divorce litigation, child custody litigation, alimony and child support matters, actions for modification of custody and support, and contempt actions. Before joining the firm as a partner, he was previously a partner with the family law firm of Lawler Green Prinz, LLC. Prior to that, he spent seven years as a litigator with a mid-sized Atlanta firm where, in addition to practicing family law, he specialized in the areas of commercial litigation, real estate litigation, and lender/debtor workouts and litigation. Alex puts his diverse legal background to use assisting clients whose cases may involve complex business interests and extensive property holdings.
Though a “trial lawyer” at heart, Alex has developed a reputation as being a solutions-oriented attorney who believes that family law matters are to be handled with the utmost discretion and professionalism. Recognizing that life goes on after a divorce case is over, Alex works with his clients to craft strategies, both in the courtroom and at the negotiating table, that take the client’s long-term financial and emotional well-being into account. When dealing with a contested child custody matter, Alex believes in taking a “child-centered” approach to the case with the goal of putting his client and the client’s children in the best position to move forward as a healthy family when the case is done.
Alex has been recognized by Super Lawyers in the area of family law every year since 2014. Alex has been a member of the Georgia Bar since 2004, and is currently a member of the State Bar of Georgia, the Georgia Court of Appeals, the Georgia Supreme Court, and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia. Alex is very active in the Atlanta Bar Association, where he sits on the board of the Family Law Section. Alex is also a member of the Cobb County Bar Association.
Alex graduated from Emory University School of Law in 2004 where he received the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award for Distinguished Achievement in the Art and Science of Advocacy. During law school he was selected to the Emory University Moot Court Society Special Team for Evidence where he served as both a competitor and coach. Prior to law school, Alex received his B.A. in Government, cum laude, from Connecticut College in 2001.
A native of New Jersey, Alex has been a Georgia resident since 2001. Alex resides in the East Cobb area with his wife and three children.
Organizations & Activities
- Executive Committee, Member-at-Large, Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia
- Vice Chair, Family Law Section of the Atlanta Bar Association
- Member, Cobb County Bar Association (Family Law Section)
- Georgia Super Lawyer, 2020 – 2024
- Georgia Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2014 – 2019
- Best Lawyers In America, Best Lawyers, 2021 – 2024
- Rated a perfect 10 out of 10 “Superb” on Avvo.com
Selected Publications & Presentations
- 39th Annual Family Law Institute, “What I Do and Don’t Like About You – Professionalism in the Practice,” June 2023, Author and Lecturer
- State Bar of Georgia Family Law Section, Nuts & Bolts of Family Law, February 2021 – “Welcome to the Wild West: Considerations in Arguing For and Against Alimony Awards”
- CFA Society Atlanta/Atlanta Society of Finance and Investment Professionals (ASFIP) – April 2019 Seminar – “The Economics of Divorce”
- Atlanta Bar Association CLE , August 2020 – Getting the Most Financial Bang For Your Client’s Buck – “Complicated Financial Issues in Divorce: You May Never Look at Finances the Same”
- Crafting Effective Deposition Outlines – Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Contemporary and Complicated Divorce Issues, February 2016, Co-Author.