Post-Judgment Matters

Many times, even after your divorce or family law matter is complete, issues will arise that require additional legal advice.  Collectively called “post-judgment matters”, these issues can involve enforcement of agreements or orders of the court, or might require modifications of child support, alimony, custody or parenting time.

At Eittreim Martin Cutler, we are prepared to continue fighting for our clients once the initial divorce or family law matter is complete through the prosecution of or defense against these post-judgment matters. These continuing issues following the conclusion of a divorce or family case include contempt, when one of the parties violates court orders, and modifications, which are changes to the agreements and orders approved by and entered by the court.

post-judgment matters

If you believe that a modification is needed or if your spouse fails to comply with court orders, call us at 770-225-7000 for a confidential consultation.

Contempt: Why You Should Follow Court Orders

Failure of one of the parties to abide by a legal agreement or comply with a court order can result in that party being held in contempt of the court. If a party is found in contempt, he or she will be made to abide by the agreement, such as paying back owed alimony or child support. Although rare, serious cases of contempt may result in the offending party being required to pay the other party’s attorney fees or even face incarceration.

Modifications: When Changes to an Agreement or Order Become Necessary

After divorce, people’s lives and situations are prone to change. Salaries can increase with a promotion or new venture or disappear in the event of a lost job; a parent may relocate out of state; daily schedules can change radically; medical emergencies come up; and the needs of the children involved change as they get older. Because of this, modifications to previous arrangements may become necessary. Child support awards and child custody and parenting time agreements can be, and often are, modified.

Similarly, alimony awarded as part of a divorce decree can also be modified depending on the circumstances. A big enough change in income for either party can lead to a modification of alimony. If the party paying alimony receives a sizable raise, alimony can be increased. Likewise, if the party who is receiving alimony receives a large pay increase or obtains funds from new income streams, alimony can be decreased.

Whenever circumstances arise such that one party believes a modification is warranted, the attorneys of Gray Eittreim Martin are well-positioned to advise our clients and argue for or against modifications or prior awards and agreements in the courtroom and at the negotiating table.

Areas of Practice