divorceWith the heightened emotions and sensitivity that accompany divorce, a situation may become violent. If this occurs, it’s important to call 911 immediately. After notifying the authorities, contact the GEM family law attorneys so we can help you with legal matters such as a restraining order.

If you feel you require protection through a court order, GEM can help. Call us at 770-225-7000.

Types of Restraining Orders

If you feel unsafe, a restraining order may be necessary. There are two types of restraining orders: an ex parte and a family violence protective order. A judge will listen to the details of what happened from both parties and order the restraint that best fits the circumstance.

An ex parte order is a temporary restraining order against the one who committed the violent act. This order will be in place until a court hearing occurs to decide further action. This hearing usually is scheduled within 30 days of the ex parte order being granted.

A family violence protective order is lengthier. It normally lasts for one year, but can last up to three years. Just like with an ex parte order, there is a court hearing and the judge determines the length of the restraining order based on the circumstance.

Types of Family Violence Recognized in Georgia

There are many different types of violence that can occur in stressful situations, and none should be ignored. In Georgia, family violence includes one or more of the following being committed against a family or household member:

  • Any Felony
  • Assault & Simple Assault
  • Battery & Simple Battery
  • Criminal Damage to Property
  • Criminal Trespass
  • Stalking
  • Unlawful Restraint

If you or a loved one is experiencing violence, don’t stay silent. Seeking immediate safety should be the primary concern followed by requesting a protective order. If you are a current divorce client of ours, allow the GEM family law attorneys to fight your case and help keep you safe.

Call us at 770-225-7000 if you have questions about divorce or violence while filing for divorce.